Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Yarn NOW!

My yarn finally arrived! YAY! I hugged one ball, then handed it over to Wooly who sniffed it, twisted a strand through his fingers, and said, "Gansey... true navy... nice hard twist to this yarn... it will make a fabulous sweater!" Then casually turned back to his computer. I walked away grinning... yep, this is why I love him! :)

So here it is! Scottish Fleet 5 ply gansey in Navy from Virtual Yarns
For what you ask? I'm making Fulmar! Thanks to Brigitte and Lorri, I joined the Fulmar KAL! This is my first KAL and I'm so excited! I got a late start since I was waiting for my yarn, but that's okay, I'm not in a hurry.


I'm making the small size. I used 2.5mm for the rib, increasing on row 32 because I think it makes for an even rib design. Changed to 3mm for the pattern and am at row 4. Yes, the pattern doesn't line up with the rib, but I figure the rib is it's own pattern, so it doesn't bother me. I wish you could see this in person, the photo doesn't do it justice. I'm thinking this will be the female equivalent of O'Shaughnessy - my favorite male Aran - see previous post.

Okay, I'm off to do a few more rows! I want to see the cables develop!

May all your projects be in gauge! m :)

5 comments:

Brigitte said...

Oh, it's so exciting!!! I've nearly completed 2 repeats of the charts, and I love it! Isn't it wonderful seeing the designs develop?

Wow, you zipped through the ribbing. It seemed to go on forever... How long do you plan on making it? (I'm short too, 5'2")

Lorraine said...

It's the holy of holies in the gansey yarn world- Scottish Fleet.

It took me a year to do Eriskay. I didn't work on it full time, but I'm sure you have figured out it's not a quick knit.

Knitterary said...

I love seeing all these new Fulmars on the needles. Yours looks great! The cables are standing out so nicely. I know conventional wisdom says we need pale colors for cablework, but your Fulmar proves otherwise. It's gorgeous!

Theresa

carolyninAlaska said...

WOW! Those cables really pop in Navy. Looks great!

Lorri said...

Your Fulmar is coming along great! I am, of course, so impressed by how fast you are going. I need to finish Katherine before I go back to this project in earnest.