Saturday, August 4, 2007

Back From Africa

Namibia, Africa 7/22 to 7/31
I love this shadow photo of Wooly and I.

We stayed at Eden Wildlife Safari.
90 miles east of Grootfontaine.
Here's the lodge and the fire pit - our favorite place.
From the fire pit you can see the waterhole, where the animals come to drink and stare at you. You could set your watch by who came when.

This is our guide Voter (say it with your best German accent!) and his dog Mauser. Mauser had the biggest personality and had a grunt and sound for each action and emotion. I miss him already. He followed us everywhere and was constant entertainment.

Kudu - male has the horns. Also known as The Gray Ghost. They're very majestic. Wooly says he's coming back as a Kudu.
Gemsbok or Oryx. I'm coming back as one of these. Fierce, yet beautiful, with chopstick like horns. Males have thicker short horns, females have thin long horn.
Giraffes - whole family at dusk. They're so tender looking and inquisitive. They just stood there and stared at us until they realized the jeep wasn't going to stop!
Springbok - aren't they pretty! They can run and leap really fast too. Only males have horns.
Waterbok dueling - they're real wooly and look like the belong in north America. I love the white ring on their rear. The females don't have horns. We heard them dueling at night too, along with the jackals howling.
Blue Wildebeest - they're the clowns always acting crazy and scaring everyone else away. Warthogs (Pumba) in the rear.
Wooly's niece Ciss. Yes, she knit that scarf while we were there. Actually, she knit 3 scarves while there, which was more than I did! I couldn't focus! I was distracted by the animals!
Dusk at Eden.
What an adventure! It seems like a dream. I am glad to be back home, but miss the animals staring at me. Where's Mauser?! ; )

4 comments:

Brigitte said...

Oh wow! What a fantastic trip! I so envy you, I've always wanted to go to Namibia, or Tanzania, somewhere close to the wildlife.

Welcome back!

Lorraine said...

What an incredible trip- and to see all those animals.

No wonder you were distracted. Wow.

Anonymous said...

Africa -- what a fabulous trip!

I'm so excited to see your blog....when you first posted to shades of shetland, I clickedback thru to see if you had a blog and you didn't.....something told me to check again today -- and there you are!

I've added you to my bloglines so I'll see any updates!

I love your lace...you are a true knitter -- you can do it all!

fleegle said...

I am envious of your trip!

But I would rather go to Little Knits, even if it meant I would have to sell my house and live in my car with my purchases :)